Friday, 14 May 2010

Purse Stolen at Cemetery


A Woman’s purse was stolen last month whilst she was visiting a grave at a cemetery in Canterbury.

Cemeteries are generally described as a place of peace for those to visit their beloved deceased. It is not somewhere you’d expect to be robbed. Theft is unacceptable no matter where it takes place but there is a degree of disrespect if its taken place at a cemetery where someone is respecting the passed.

A 47 year old Woman was visiting her mothers grave on Sunday the 14th March when she her purse was stolen at around 3pm. She was approached by a young man and woman asking for directions to get to the town. Whilst helping the two individuals the woman was pushed over and her coat was grabbed. Once the couple had ran off the woman had realised that her purse was in the jacket. The woman fell onto her knee and was taken to hospital to check that everything was ok

The two individuals are yet to be caught but the police have given a description and have been appealing for witnesses.

The male is described to be aged around his mid twenties, 6ft tall wearing a black woolen hat, dark clothing and carrying a rucksack with a piece of wood sticking out the top.

The Female is said to be aged between 18-20 and was wearing a white adidas tracksuit with read and white trainers. She was a slim build with blonde hair tied in a ponytail.

The police are appealing for witnesses so if anyone has any information they could provide please contact Detective Constable Louise Hammond on 01227 868285.

Canterbury Receives Some Famous Faces

The summer ball of Kent University is bringing many famous faces to Canterbury this year, as well as the smaller University Christchurch. The most talked about act is Florence and the Machine, also appearing at other festivals this year such as Latitude, V festival, Radio 1’s Big weekend, the Isle of Wight festival and many more.

Other famous acts coming to Kent are Feeder, Pendulum djset, Tinie Tempah, Jo wiley, and The Wideboys. The students are getting more then a bargain with each ticket costing only £47. Christchurch will also have the band Feeder, as well as the new talent Example.

Last year we saw the triumphant Dizzee Rascal take to the stage in Venue, the campus nightclub. Although he did have a tumble, the union said it was one of the most successful acts they have ever had.

Emma Chatfeild from the university attended last year; ‘It was amazing! Definitely going again next year.’ Of course with this new announced line up I don’t see why any student would not go.

I went to Christchurch University to talk to the students about how they feel about the other university having so many people in their line up, such as Florence and the machine. Most of my responses where pure disappointment, as was Ben Cliff’s, who is studying Sports Science;

‘I am a bit gutted about it to be honest. If I can get a ticket for Kent’s summer ball, then I will probably go there instead’.

Nevertheless, other students outside of Kent University can go to their summer ball also. This is the most exciting line up to date and a great way to start the summer for Canterbury.


A video of last years Kent Summer ball. Dizzee Rascal falling off stage:

By Laura Kerrigan

Canterbury's New Stars?

It seems that the city of Canterbury may soon be home to some upcoming stars in the form of new band CWB! Millie Wilson, Tommo Bailey and Neil Stockley are all students from the Canterbury area and after two years of performing together it looks like they might have finally caught their big break after landing a record deal.

What started out as a hobby has turned into a possible career choice for Millie, Tommo and Neil. All three share a huge passion for music and after two years of hard work; it seems that their dedication may have finally paid off. The three of them describe their music as ‘alternative indie rock’ which is made up of Millie on bass and vocals, Tommo on the guitar and Neil on the drums with contribution from all of them towards writing their songs.

After a while CWB’s potential was recognised by those in the local area, and they managed to land gigs around the county including performances at venues such as The Dog in Herne Bay and The Farmhouse in Canterbury and most excitingly were even asked to perform on the main stage at Canterbury’s annual festival, Lounge on the Farm.. Soon enough, a music producer was browsing through the social network site, MySpace, and happened to come across CWB’s fan page. Having listened to some of their music and noticing all of the positive feedback that people were leaving on the page, he decided to offer CWB the chance to record their own album with his company, Knitting Factory Records.

During an interview I had with the band last week, the three of them spoke of how excited they are about their possible music career. ‘We never expected anything like this to happen to us’ said Millie, when commenting on their recent success, ‘I mean, we’re only a student band after all. At first we just performed together for fun, but now we know that people actually think we have the potential to go further’.

In fact, it turns out that there is more to this record deal than meets the eye; they were actually offered two record deals! After receiving the first offer from Knitting Factory, another company showed some interest towards the band and after speaking to both parties CWB ‘decided not to go with Knitting Factory Records because they were located further away from us and the communication with them wasn’t that good, the other company are in Maidstone which is much more convenient’ Tommo explained.

As well as this benefit, the second company seem to be offering CWB much higher prospects regarding their upcoming album by allowing them to sign something called a distribution deal ‘which means that after recording our album it will eventually be available to buy in stores and on to download via ITunes’ (Neil). This deal is hugely promising for the band, considering names such as Lily Allen and Sean Kingston were also offered similar deals to this before they became globally known stars.

Of course, with all of this drama with both companies, it means that the band have indeed gathered some setbacks; their first single ‘Carrousel’ was meant to be released in March, but will now not be available to buy until the summer. But this definitely is not affecting the bands optimism whatsoever, ‘we’re so excited, we just hope that everything goes well from now on because we’ve been working so hard and so many people are counting on us now!’ Millie commented in our interview.

It seems that all we can do now is wish the three of the best of luck, and look forward to hearing their single later this year, and who knows, it may not be long until CWB hit the big-time!

By Nicole Muller

Latest Events in Canterbury

So you’ve Uni’s over for the year, you have the next 4 months off with nothing to worry about but how are you going to fill those long hot summer days?

There is lots going on around the Canterbury area so follow our events guide and your summer will be jam packed full of exciting days out and things to do over the coming months.

Lounge on the Farm: 9-11 July 2010

The music festival is held annually

at The Merton Farm in Canterbury and is a platform for local bands and musicians to perform alongside established acts from around the country. The festival has been running for five years and has seven stages for you to choose from including a moving tractor stage. This years line-up includes Martha Reeves and the Vandellas to headline Saturday, and Toots & The Maytals have been announced as Sunday headliners. Tickets for the event can be bought here and cost £95 for the weekend.

Herne Bay Festival: 21-29 August 2010

At this fun-filled festival there is a variety of live music, street performances, creative commissions, competitions, cultural treats and seaside frolics. The festival is held along the seafront and is sponsored by local business such as Cains Amusement Parade, Brett Aggregates and Marlowe in Motion which means the festival is free to all.

Canterbury Anifest: 9 October 2010

Kents first Animation Festival returns this year with premieres of workshops and guest appearances from some of Britain’s leading professionals leading question and answer sessions. The festival is committed to showcasing young talent and is holding a competition to find the next best film animation. This year it is being held at the Gulbenkian Theatre and a festival pass is £32.

By Hannah Atterbury

Caught Red Handed

Canterbury nightclubs have started training their bouncers in using a pioneering new device, which is hoped to bring drunks and thugs to justice. It is a new spray that will be used to brand anyone who is causing trouble.

Right Guard Security is the company behind this pioneering new device. They say that the red spray enables the bouncers or door staff of clubs to mark those who they suspect to be involved in disturbances outside of the venue. They also say that it will assist the police in pinpointing the suspects whereabouts.

The managing director, Tony Smith, has issued the spray to all of his staff and leads training classes in how it should be used.

Tony said “Firstly, it marks the offender with red dye making it easier for police officers to identify them.

"It also has unique bio-synthetic DNA which means people can be linked irrefutably to a location.

"The spray is a unique crime fighting tool and is ideal for security workers.”

Anyone working on a door of a club has a tough job dealing with drunks late at night, and so being able to use this tool will make their jobs that little bit easier is surely a good thing. This is an added bonus of it being also being a deterrent against crime or anti-social behavior.

If it is a success here in Canterbury, it is hoped that it will be used elsewhere in the county, and possibly in other cities in the country.

By Kate Gibson

Canterbury Euro Fair

Imagine a bustling busy atmosphere and a variety of aroma’s filling the air from a vast range of food and drink stalls from all over the country.

The event will be taking place at the cities Dane John Gardens from the 24th to 26th September. Eurofair, working with the Kent Food and Drink festival will be raising the profile of food and drink originating from the area. There is said to be around 100

stalls from Turkey, Italy, France and the UK and about 30 of these will include some of the finest foods that have been produced in Kent.

At the previous years event expert chefs such as Michael Caines and Paul Hollywood through live cooking demonstrations and workshops. It seems to suit those who aspire to be chefs and those lovers of food.

There will definitely be entertainment on the night and it’s likely to be live music on the bandstand but it is yet to be confirmed. Representatives have said that once it has been confirmed the programme for the event will be published. The Eurofair has previously been described as a taste sensation and a brilliant day out for the family. This year they are going to be including a kid’s section where they will be running entertainment and workshops for the young ones.

Here are some previous comments from the public at last year’s event:

“Definitely doing it again next year, I made the mistake of walking around whilst hungry I ate more then a meant too. The best bit was watching a loved up couple in their 50’s dancing to the jazz band”. – Janice Whatton

“Had a great time and should definitely do it again next year. Best bit was Em’s Cupcakes and Pinocchio’s Pizza”. – Nicky Rogers

“Had a great time but perhaps I spent too much! Do it again next year?? Er, or course!” – Ian Clark

If your hungry and looking for lunch over the weekend then we would suggest attending the event and giving all the stalls a try.

By Porsche Smith


Equality Campaigners Fight for Gay Rights

Canterbury is known for its historical and cultural surroundings, and for its city full of students. Most people think it a beautiful area, with its focus of the Cathedral in town. However a campaign group in Canterbury called Pride has described it as ‘cultural wilderness’ as it fails to cater for homosexuals by not having enough gay bars.

The campaigners believe that the council has not made it clear that gays are welcome in the community and are now awaiting the outcome of their complaint to the local government ombudsman.

Spokesman Andrew Bretell said: ‘ We are not trying to turn Canterbury into Blackpool or Brighton, but we do think it’s important for the gay community to have a focal point’.

The student club ‘Soap’ is on weekdays but at weekends it is known as ‘Boys and Girls’; this caters for the gay community but apart from this the nearest gay bar is 17 miles away in Margate. The group did complain already last year to the City Council however nothing came of it so now they await the ruling from the ombudsman for next week.

Many of the general public does not feel such pressure should be put upon the council about this matter. £4000 has been funded since 2005 through the grants system to help the gay community and ‘promote their concerns’. People have argued that paying out for new gay bars would be ‘a colossal waste of taxpayers’ money’. Others have discussed the problem with naming it a gay bar- why should any bar or club be called a gay bar? Jim Jones from Canterbury said; ‘it’s a bar, so what if your gay, you still sit and drink like everyone else’.

It has already been announced that the ombudsman has said the key complaints made by Pride are unlikely to achieve success.

By Laura Kerrigan